We made these Christmas ornaments last year using our dog’s paws and thought it was such a great idea that we wanted to share it with our fellow pet parents.
Here’s a simple, straightforward holiday craft for adults, kids and pets to enjoy. Fyi, we are not crafty, so if we can do this, any family can!
It’s a pretty basic process. Make salt dough; press a paw in the dough; make a hole; bake and hang it. You can even spice up the ornament by writing your pet’s name or decorating it to match your pet’s personality. Let your creative ideas run wild.
Here’s how to make Paw Print Ornaments with the help of our two Furchildren, Syema and Maximus. Note, their paws are big!
- 0.5 cup of water
- 0.5 cup of table salt
- 1 cup of flour
- cup for making the circular shape
- drinking straw
Optional for Decorations
- acrylic paint
- matte finish mod podge
- permanent marker
- Mix together the hot water, salt and flour to create the dough. Kneed it together with your hands until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Roll out the dough.
- Use a cup to cut out circle shapes.
- Gently and firmly press your dog or cat’s paw into the center of the circle to make an imprint. Use a drinking straw to cut a hole for the ribbon.
- Transfer the circles to a parchment lined baking sheet, or foil and bake at 200C for 1 to 2 hours until they are solid and completely dried out.
- Once they have cooled, you have the option to paint the ornaments or leave them with a natural appearance.
- You also have the option to write your pet's name and the year on the front or back of the ornament using paint or a permanent marker.
- String a ribbon through the hole to hang your ornament.
- If you want you can attach an extra ribbon or bow tie to the ornament using hot glue.
Hang and enjoy!
If you make this ornament, we want to see it! Make sure to send us a picture and tag us @furchildpets This simple craft is great for the kids to try and it will add a unique, personable touch to your 'how-liday' decorations. Click here for Christmas gift ideas for your dog and cats.
Join our Christmas Giveaway Contest
Did you know that Furchild and Santa Paws are giving away awesome pet gifts for 12 days in a row?!? Everday we randomly select two new winners and everyday there are new gifts! Join the fun and spoil your 'furchildren' this holiday!